[PPRAANet] rain gutter antenna

Phil Dubois dubois at dubois.com
Sat Aug 29 11:52:51 EDT 2026


Greetings and thanks for your help.

I'm making a rain-gutter antenna and wonder whether I need a choke or unun
at the feed point.

If a choke, may I just coil the coax feedline around, say, a short length
of 4" PVC?  How many turns?  I read that the number of turns depends on the
frequency I will be using, but I'd like to try all the frequencies, so
maybe there's a number of turns that's the best compromise.

If an unun, is there anything I should know about?  Can I just find a
design online and make it?

Finally, I may need an antenna tuner.  What kind?  Can I screw it to the
wall near the feedpoint?  Or should I have it near the radio?

I know that I'm asking a lot of newbie questions and don't expect anyone to
spend a lot of time answering, so I'm happy to spring for lunch for an
Elmer's help.

-- 

Phil Dubois
kf0zdb


---

Contemplate impermanence.


More information about the PPRAANet mailing list