[Elecraft] K3 Price

Robert Rennard n7wy at rocketmail.com
Thu Sep 3 12:51:17 EDT 2026


I think the original request led to reactions about a proposed asking price for a K3S.  
I used my K3S without a subRx for operations from the center console of my RAM 2500 during 7QP and FD away from my Cheyenne QTH.  The first time I used it at a 3-county border east of Chugwater, WY, it started doing unexpected things.  Elecraft performed a reset, billed me $300 and returned it to Cheyenne.  Reset requires pushing two front panel buttons.  Since no hardware was serviced, a year later at the same operating location it was still flaky.  The culprit was the USB interface which was being restocked in Watsonville by a special build.  I bought one of the last built and had Watsonville bring the K3S to its original functionality.  I was still nervous because support was winding down.  I sold it for just over $2K.
The K3 that the K3S replaced was sold to a 2-land ham and then made its way to N7IR who added a stiffener before it became part of PJ2T.  It never cost me a minute of downtime.
There are stories that K3S radios with serial numbers below 10250 should be avoided.  Mine should have.  The one for sale is #10070.
My K4D serial number is 148.
Bob Rennard - N7WY


More information about the Elecraft mailing list