[Elecraft] K3 price

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Sep 2 15:34:04 EDT 2026


On 8/31/2026 5:20 PM, Glenn Pritchard via Elecraft wrote:
> What is the fair market price? I live in Mexico but the market there is
> meh. RRIGCON.

I don't know RRIGCON, but I'd say you'd be lucky to get more than $2.5K 
for the radio, even though it's very well set up. A couple of years ago, 
I bought a low serial number K3 from a member of our contesting club 
with both receivers, nice selection of filters, P3/SVGA, and SWR adapter 
for $2K. I know of several single RX K3s that changed hands a year ago 
for $1,300 and $1,500, again from one club member to another.

Pricing of many K3s I've seen has been wildly optimistic. I still own 
four and a couple of P3/SVGAs, and a K4D has been my main radio for 
several years. Two of the K3s get used every year for FD and county 
expeditions for QSO parties.

The P3/SVGA is worth about $750, simply because the SVGA board is a high 
failure item due to a manufacturing failure.

The K3s are fine radios, and I still enjoy using them. For me, the 
primary advantages of the K4D over the K3 are its filters and new NR 
firmware. And thanks to 15-year newer chips, it sounds better. But I was 
never bothered by the sound of my K3s.

73, Jim K9YC


More information about the Elecraft mailing list