[Elecraft] Fwd: New K4 WSJT-X fork for Remote K4 users

Thomas Sullivan tomsull at alum.mit.edu
Fri Oct 2 13:27:12 EDT 2026


Doing a bit of testing with the released 3.0.2 WSJT-X and JTAlert, it appears that JTAlert won't connect to WSJT-X until WSJT-X has a connection to the radio.  If I bring up WSJT-X without the radio connected, and click Configuration to clear the WSJT-X reconnect dialog, JTAlert has the same, unable to connect behavior with the released WSJT-X as it does with the K4 test version.  So, there is apparently some signal (likely on the IP port for reporting) that is generated when WSJT-X connects to the radio that is not being sent with the K4 version.  This seems pretty likely as the Radio connect logic is obviously brand new.  So I suspect this is where the disconnect is occurring.

Let me know if I can do any testing to help!

Thanks and 73!


-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-bounces at mailman.qth.net <elecraft-bounces at mailman.qth.net> On Behalf Of Tim Tucker via Elecraft
Sent: Thursday, October 1, 2026 12:30 PM
To: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft at mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Fwd: New K4 WSJT-X fork for Remote K4 users

I haven't tested JTAlert - I will do that later and see what happens.

Regarding other things like fonts, buttons, etc. - those are things in the core WSJT-X app that I didn't change.  So if you're seeing something broken like fonts being wierd, or buttons doing odd things, I would compare against the regular RC1 to see if the same behavior exists there...it's all inherited in my fork.

Re: high SWR indicator - that is an interesting one that I hadn't thought
about: A little research tells me that regular app uses hamlib to get that info from the rig.  But we're not using hamlib in this build because we're going direct to the radio, which means I need to account for that.  I'll get that added to the list of things to address.

One last thing that I DID change that I didn't mention before:  The stock WSJT-X uses the "power" slider to control audio drive from the PC to the radio. But that doesn't apply here, so I changed it to control the actual rig power control.  Keep in mind that the way I implemented the Auto TX input calibration, it sets the drive level by watching the ALC meter and it won't increase the audio input drive past an ALC reading of 5 to keep the signal nice and clean.  So even if you have the power set to 100 watts, you may actually see something a bit less than that if you're sitting next to the radio.

Tim

On Thu, Oct 1, 2026 at 7:38 AM Thomas Sullivan <tomsull at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Tim, I have it up and running, and it's working.  One question though:
> How do you get JTAlert to run?  Is there a special version that's needed.
> JTAlert is looking for the actual WSJT-X running; can I just rename 
> the exe of your version to provide this?
>
> Thanks and 73!
>
> Tom Sullivan, KC1VHD
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: elecraft-bounces at mailman.qth.net 
> <elecraft-bounces at mailman.qth.net>
> On Behalf Of Tim Tucker via Elecraft
> Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2026 10:11 PM
> To: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft at mailman.qth.net>
> Subject: [Elecraft] Fwd: New K4 WSJT-X fork for Remote K4 users
>
> All,
>
> I forked WSJT-X version 3.2.0 RC1 and created a true K4 Remote version.
> This is the latest WSJT-X test build that has the new JTTY mode in it.  
> No features or functionalities of the app have been changed - all this 
> does is replace the Radio and Audio setup to only support the K4 using 
> remote connections.  No more audio routing and stuff like that if you 
> want to use WSJT-X with your K4 remotely.  Builds for every natively 
> supported OS are there, try it out, see what you think.  My testing on 
> Windows 11 has been pretty positive.
>
> https://github.com/worldwidedx/K4-WSJTX/releases/tag/v3.2.0-rc1
>
> Tim
> --
> Owner, worldwidedx.com
> AE6LX, Amateur Radio
>
>
> --
> Owner, worldwidedx.com
> AE6LX, Amateur Radio
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:Elecraft at mailman.qth.net
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email 
> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to 
> tomsull at alum.mit.edu
>


--
Owner, worldwidedx.com
AE6LX, Amateur Radio
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:Elecraft at mailman.qth.net

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to tomsull at alum.mit.edu 


More information about the Elecraft mailing list